Thursday, December 16, 2010

Sabi 3pc razor: Revisited

Can the Sabi 3pc razor dethrone Edwin Jagger?
PC160897
PC160900
foreground- Sabi 3 pc l backround- EJ DE86

With my last order from Shave-a-Buck, out of curiosity, I decided to take my chances on the new Sabi 3 piece razor. Upon first inspection it's easy to see how I became so drawn to this shaver - the gunmetal finish looks top-quality and you can really feel the durability and weight when first picking it up. So far so good, but as most of us in the wet-shaving world know, looks (and price) can be deceiving. To give this razor a proper evaluation I used it exclusively for a week, switching to my 'go-to' EJ 86 the following week, then recently back to the Sabi for a complete comparison. Though be it a relatively condensed amount of time, here's my review of this razor so far.
          Weight - When first handling, what stands out most is the heft of this razor, this baby is heavy. When compared to my Edwin Jagger I can feel a noticeable difference in my hands. While the weight of a razor in my opinion, is an important variable in performance, it's more so important that the razor be properly balanced. Here's an area where the Sabi could use some improvement - the majority of the weight is in the handle. Compared to the EJ, the Sabi is significantly bottom heavy, which requires more attention and detail to proper technique when shaving. 
          Finish - While reasonably priced around $7 USD, the gunmetal finish is rated grade-A. I found no flaws in the lacquer - a deep, smoke color glaze - and the workmanship is easily noticeable upon first glance.
         Blade Exposure - Another area where the Sabi could use some improvement. Unlike my EJ, when tightening down a blade, special attention needs to paid to assure even blade exposure on both sides.
To give me a broader evaluation of this razor I tried several different blades (Gillette Super Thins, Bic Chrome Platinum, Derby Extra). While the Super Thins and Derby combination left much to be desired, the Sabi really shined with the Bic CP's; much the same with the EJ. Though the balance may be an issue, with proper care to technique, the resulting shaves were quite respectable. The Sabi head construction is nearly identical to a Merkur 33c and I found the shave to be quite identical as well. Now, given the choice between the Sabi and the Edwin Jagger, I'll take the latter 8 times out of 10 (it's good to add some variety). Though it's no EJ, the Sabi does provide a good shave and is pleasing on the eyes. Given it's price/performance ratio, the Sabi is a winner. I give it a solid recommendation to those looking to add some variety to their morning shave.

1 comment:

  1. I know you were comparing the Sabi vs. the EJ, but you also mention the Merkur HD/33c. How do you think the Sabi compares to the 33c?

    ReplyDelete